ANZALS is the major disciplinary association in Australasia for promoting the further development of research, teaching and scholarship in the study of leisure (including sport, tourism, events, arts, play and recreation). Our aim is to promote the value and profile of leisure studies in Australia and New Zealand through a biennial conference, website and the publication of Annals of Leisure Research Journal. ANZALS holds its biennial conference in December.
ANZALS is managed by a Board comprising elected office-bearers and co-opted members from a number of institutions in Australia and New Zealand. Quarterly meetings are held by teleconference, with one face-to-face meeting each year. On the non-conference year, the face-to-face meeting will be held at a location at the discretion of the Board, and on a conference year the face-to-face meeting will be held at the conference location.
The Board seeks to appoint a Student Representative to join the Board as a co- opted member to canvass and represent the views of ANZALS student members on matters relating to ANZALS business. The following outlines the key duties associated with this voluntary role.
- Attend the quarterly Board teleconference and face-to-face meetings
- Compose the student report for ANZALS meetings and the ANZALS AGM
- Maintain and communicate through the ANZALS Facebook page
- Actively communicate the views and concerns of the student population at Board meetings
- Communicate the views and directions of the Board back to the student membership
- Actively encourage and ensure the ANZALS membership are promoting ANZALS to up-and-coming students at their institutions
- Ensure that all students feel welcome and an integral part of the ANZALS membership and related activities
- With support from the Board, develop, promote and deliver the Higher Degree Research Student Scholarship scheme in conjunction with the biennial conference
- With support from the Board, develop and promote and deliver the Higher Degree Research Student Workshop in conjunction with the biennial conference
- Develop and promote the mid-year conference or similar event in collaboration with SMAANZ and CAUTHE
The term of appointment will be a non-standard one year (2021), which may be extended for a further two year term that aligns with the standard Board timing.
ANZALS will fund all travel, accommodation and registration for the Student Representative to attend both the ANZALS face-to-face meeting and the biennial conference (or such that occur during their term).
Application and appointment process
The ANZALS Board calls for expressions of interest for the co-opted Student Representative role. Applicants must be current ANZALS Student Members and reside in either Australia or New Zealand for the duration of their tenure as Student Representative.
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following documents:
- A two-page CV;
- A 500-word outline detailing your interest and vision for the role; and
- A letter from your supervisor to support the application and provide evidence that you can accommodate the role in light of your student workload.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 22 November 2020. Please forward applications to ANZALS President Trudie Walters via email@example.com.
Applicants will be advised of the outcome of the appointment process shortly thereafter.
If you have any queries related to the role, please contact current Student Representative Holly Bowen-Salter via firstname.lastname@example.org.